First up is this little table lamp. Coincidentally, the pattern of the metal shade happened to be the same as one of the fabrics used for the suitcases.
It basically has two shades: a metal cut-out one that matches the finish of the base, and a white fabric shade inside that. So in order to refinish and recover it, we had to disassemble. I'd say this was a simple effort of man and screwdriver, I mean... there were only three screws holding the shades one, but MAN were they in there like a teenager on Facebook! Pavitra got one out, but had to have someone at Home Depot help with the other two. I'm not sure how they got them off, but they did!
Then all it needed was a few coats of white spray paint and some new fabric over the shade. Guess which fabric we used... Yep! the green one that was the same pattern. It's always effective to echo patterns throughout a design. This is a simple way to make things look cohesive. Here's the final product...
We gave it a coat of primer...
... and a coat of "Colonial Revival Sea Green." Then Pavitra followed this tutorial to create the burlap lampshade over an inexpensive plastic shade from Ikea (I bought it before Christmas for about $5).
We put it in the corner by the toy chest to create a sense of height on that side of the space and to carry the green color over to the other side of the room.
Lighting really dresses up a space and I think these lamps add the perfect finishing touch of whimsy.