Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Nursery Armoire Before & After

Hello fellow readers and bloggers! Sorry for the hiatus.  After the completion of the Noah's ARC Design Challenge, which I first told you about here, I took a little break from blogging.  I had a super relaxing weekend and hope you did too!

But now its time to get on top of the remaining projects from Noah's ARC (not literally of course).  Today I'm going to share with you the deets on this beautiful before and after...


We started with this armoire we found at the warehouse...


It has some really beautiful details...


These lovely feminine curves are what dictated most of our other furniture choices.  (More on that here.)  But it also had quite a few large dings in it...


To cover up these blemishes and create a real fresh and clean look, we decided to go white.  (More about our painting plan here.)  So I patched up these nicks and dings with some wood filler, sanded them down, and then handed it off to Rachel took to it with the air compressor and spray gun full of Sherwin Williams "Westhighland White."

With it all painted white inside and out, it looked sparkly and new! But we wanted to give it a little something extra.  So I taped off the bottom insdie and painted the back by hand with SW "Colonial Revival Sea Green."  (Sorry for the poor picture quality; I was painting in the poorly-lit garage at night.)  


We also had two pieces of wood cut to create shelves. Initially we thought we'd have to create braces to hold them up, but as we began painting we noticed that it already had holes for dowels to hold up shelves.  The great thing about this is that whoever its new owner may be can adjust the shelves to their liking!  With  the shelves painted white, we popped them in.

To hang clothes, we cut down an old rake found at the warehouse and attached it with brackets from Home Depot.


Lastly, we taped off the lower inside door panels and painted them with chalkboard paint.  I love this last little touch!  Adorable and functional for your little child's budding creativity!


With the project complete, I styled the shelves with baby clothes, shoes, childrens' books and some storage bins beautified by Pavitra with decorative paper...









PS.  All final photos are taken with my new Canon Rebel t3i. Yay! :)

TDC Before and After