Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Glider & Ottoman Redo

Happy hump day ya'll!  Hope you're having a good week.  Today I bring to you another before and after from the Noah's ARC Design Challenge Nursery designed by my team from Interior Designers Institute.  This glider and ottoman redo was the combined effort of all our team members.  Thanks ladies!  Here goes...


If you've been following along, you may remember this rocker found at the Salvation Army's Anahiem warehouse...


We chose it because of it's modern style and more delicate lines than the other rockers we saw. But black wasn't in our color scheme so we were ready with Sherwin Williams "Westhighland White" and a spray gun to give her the old switch-a-roo.


 It took quite a few coats and of course a base coat of primer to cover up the black, but we got her there.


Then, Katherine and Pavitra made a trip to Joann's to pick out this lovely fabric.  The large scale grey print was the one they picked out for the rocker.  So once they got it too me, I spent an evening pulling staples out of the ottoman to remove the cushion.  Bye bye old warn fabric!


 Then I aligned the fabric so that the pattern was centered on the ottoman...


...and stapled away just like I did on my ever so popular LACK ottomans.


To create a new cushion I used the remainder of the foam camping pad from Home Depot that I had used for the LACK ottomans.  This stuff is less expensive than upholstery foam and nice and firm so it wont sag.  I created a template with paper to fit on the glider...


Then used a kitchen knife to cut the foam to size.  With the cushion on the seat, I traced the rounded corners and cut those too.


Then Katherine busted out the sewing machine and created a cover for the cushion making sure to center the pattern so it would align with the ottoman. Some final sewing by hand finished the job.  Isn't she a beaut!  Unfortunately I don't have any photos of that part, but it came out awesome right!?



More on the pillows and crib bedding tomorrow. And the side table transformation is coming up too!

TDC Before and After

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!